Premium Content:

Parent group reports no complaints about Safe Schools

Kylie CattoKylie Catto, President of the Western Australian Council of State School Organisations has revealed how many complaints parents have raised about the Safe Schools Coaliton.

Speaking on radio station 6PR’s ‘Mornings with Gary Adshead’ the President of the peak body representing Parent and Citizen groups across Western Australia said her organisation had not recieved a single complaint about the program.

- Advertisement -

“Not one complaint Gary,” Ms Catto said, “we haven’t through our councilors, through our office, or through me directly as President.”

Ms Catto said the organisation had been very involved in the development of the WA Equal Opportunity Commission’s guidelines for supporting sexual and gender diversity in schools and endorsed that as an organisation.

The organisation represents over 650 state school organisations across Western Australia. Ms Catto said the feedback they had received has been overwhelmingly positive and many students had benefited from a positive school environment.

The revelation that no direct complaints have been received from parents has thrown into question how much real opposition there is to the program outside the campaigns run by Christian lobby groups and conservative politicians.

Earlier today The Guardian revealed that only one school has ever dropped out of the program.

Liberal senator Eric Abetz is one of the several backbenchers advocating for the program to be withdrawn from close to 500 schools across Australia.

On Tuesday night Mr Abetz appeared on the ABC and said thousands of parents wanted the program to be cancelled.

“I trust that it [the review] comes to a landing which will listen to the views and aspirations of the mums and dads of Australia who, when they get the opportunity, vote with their feet and don’t want their schools participating,” Mr Abetz told ABC TV.

OIP Staff, front page image – stock image Yay Micro. 

 

 

 

 

Latest

‘Deadloch’ Season 2 heads to the far north

Comedy mystery-murder series Deadloch will return for a second season in March .

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.

Rocker Melissa Etheridge reflects on her long career and survival

Melissa Ethridge is getting ready to bring out her first album in five years and is looking back on her life and career.

Newsletter

Don't miss

‘Deadloch’ Season 2 heads to the far north

Comedy mystery-murder series Deadloch will return for a second season in March .

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.

Rocker Melissa Etheridge reflects on her long career and survival

Melissa Ethridge is getting ready to bring out her first album in five years and is looking back on her life and career.

RAINBOWlers head to Albany Pride

What a perfect ay to spend a Sunday afternoon.

‘Deadloch’ Season 2 heads to the far north

Comedy mystery-murder series Deadloch will return for a second season in March .

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.