Premium Content:

Richard Di Natale: Plebiscite delay is a tactic

Richard Di Natale-horz

Greens Leader Richard Di Natale has said that Australians shouldn’t be surprised that the government looks like it’s ready to push the proposed plebiscite on marriage equality back to 2017.

- Advertisement -

The Greens leader, who is opposed the issue being decided by a public vote, said people should expect more delays because the Liberal party was deliberately delaying addressing the issue.

“Delays are the entire point of the Liberals’ plebiscite ploy. They don’t want to end discrimination in the law, they want to push it off to the never-never,” Senator Di Natale said.

“The Parliament could pass marriage equality into law next Tuesday, but instead the Liberals want to run a costly and divisive public vote that may be ignored by many of their so-called representatives anyway.

Earlier this year several Coalition members indicated that regardless of the outcome of the plebiscite they would still vote against marriage equality legislation. Among those declaring they’d ignore the outcome were Tasmanian senator Erica Abetz, outspoken South Australian senator Cory Bernardi and Nationals senator Bridget McKenzie.

Senator Di Natale renewed his call for the issue to be dealt with via a free vote in the parliament.

“The plebiscite is pointless. We already know there’s overwhelming support for marriage equality in the community and in the parliament so it can’t be seen as anything but a delay tactic.

“The PM should end the sham, end the delays and end the discrimination against people who want to celebrate their love.”

Yesterday news reports suggested that the government had decided to push the plebiscite back to 2017. Earlier this morning government minister Kelly O’Dwyer denied that a date had already been locked in. O’Dwyer said no decisions had been made on the timing of the plebsicte or the question that would be out to the Australian people.

OIP Staff

Latest

WA Reflections: Local drag history among newly-funded documentaries

Screenwest has announced funding for four new documentaries shining a light on local Western Australian history and celebrating our diversity.

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ teases genre-bending third season

Paramount+ has released a teaser for the upcoming third season of its hit original series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Albanese v Dutton: ABC to host leaders debate ahead of federal election

Public broadcaster ABC have announced they will host the first free-to-air leaders debate ahead of May's federal election.

On This Gay Day | Sir Peter Pears passed away in 1986

Opera singer Peter Pears passed away on this day in 1986, aged 75.

Newsletter

Don't miss

WA Reflections: Local drag history among newly-funded documentaries

Screenwest has announced funding for four new documentaries shining a light on local Western Australian history and celebrating our diversity.

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ teases genre-bending third season

Paramount+ has released a teaser for the upcoming third season of its hit original series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Albanese v Dutton: ABC to host leaders debate ahead of federal election

Public broadcaster ABC have announced they will host the first free-to-air leaders debate ahead of May's federal election.

On This Gay Day | Sir Peter Pears passed away in 1986

Opera singer Peter Pears passed away on this day in 1986, aged 75.

Former WA Governor Malcolm McCusker to lead inquiry into election

Premier Roger Cook said today that there was no question over who won each seat at the election.

WA Reflections: Local drag history among newly-funded documentaries

Screenwest has announced funding for four new documentaries shining a light on local Western Australian history and celebrating our diversity.

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ teases genre-bending third season

Paramount+ has released a teaser for the upcoming third season of its hit original series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Albanese v Dutton: ABC to host leaders debate ahead of federal election

Public broadcaster ABC have announced they will host the first free-to-air leaders debate ahead of May's federal election.