Premium Content:

Sleaze Troubles

One of New Mardi Gras’ major fundraising events reported record low attendance last month despite efforts to bolster falling support in Sydney.

- Advertisement -

Nearly 1,000 fewer people attended this year’s Sleaze Ball despite an announcement it could be the last, reduced ticket prices and a youth concession rate — while the Hallowe’en fundraiser party planned for October has been cancelled.

New Mardi Gras (NMG) put the number of people who attended the October long weekend dance party at just over 4,000, down a thousand from the 5,000 who attended in 2009.

Last year’s result led former NMG co-chair Nick Parker to describe 2009’s Sleaze as ‘the fundraiser that didn’t’.

NMG said the 2010 event had been positive as larger numbers of younger people and women had attended.

NMG CEO Michael Rolik said the loss of the Hordern (Pavilion) would have affected some people’s decisions, but the overall reason for the drop in attendance was not clear.

‘We face a general decline in numbers for large format dance parties right across Australia, increased competition from many angles and there is no doubt that the police presence at last year’s Sleaze Ball did much to mar an otherwise well-produced and exciting party and that hurt us this year.’

Rolik said despite the drop in attendance, the feedback NMG was receiving from revellers was that the party had been ‘wonderful’ and people had had an enjoyable night.

Yesterday New Mardi Gras announced the cancellation of the Hallowe’en fundraising party scheduled for October 30.

Andrew M Potts, Sydney Star Observer

***

Latest

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.

Rocker Melissa Etheridge reflects on her long career and survival

Melissa Ethridge is getting ready to bring out her first album in five years and is looking back on her life and career.

RAINBOWlers head to Albany Pride

What a perfect ay to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Newsletter

Don't miss

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.

Rocker Melissa Etheridge reflects on her long career and survival

Melissa Ethridge is getting ready to bring out her first album in five years and is looking back on her life and career.

RAINBOWlers head to Albany Pride

What a perfect ay to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Check out the ‘Desert Ballads and Sharp Spurs’ exhibition during Mardi Gras

Kim Leutwyler is a queer and gender diverse visual...

‘Breakers’: WA-based Netflix series reveals cast led by Antony Starr

Netflix has revealed more details about the cast of their upcoming series Breakers, the streaming giant's first to film in WA.

Rainbow Migrants to host free legal information sessions

Topics include renting and housing rights, visa and migration issues, discrimination and police.

Rocker Melissa Etheridge reflects on her long career and survival

Melissa Ethridge is getting ready to bring out her first album in five years and is looking back on her life and career.